Wink, Wink

I cannot remember the last time I winked or was winked at. 

Has winking become a lost gesture, a distant memory, a relic forever dormant? 

Winking is a subtle flirtation... an invitation into a smile... a brief moment between two people... to give the heart a tingle of excitement... with the potential for more... or not. 

I remember the first time I ever winked at anyone. It was across the room in a high school US History class. It happened spontaneously when I noticed someone looking my way. I winked with my left eye. She winked with her right eye. We both giggled. It felt good. 

I wanted more. 

One night I thought I caught someone’s attention in a crowded club and was certain they winked at me. I winked back and slowly sauntered through the throng of partiers towards them only to find out they actually had something caught in their eye and were trying to get it out. It was a non-wink. 

Undaunted, I continued winking whenever the moment would arise. But through the years I noticed my winking wasn’t happening as often as I liked, and then one day I woke to no wink at all. 

Times changed and so has the wink. 

An emoticon wink is not the same as an in-person wink. We all use them to add pizzazz to our messages but when was the last time you looked at an emoticon wink and felt any kind of tingle? 

So, I encourage everyone to embrace in-person winks. Catch someone’s eye and give them a good wink. Who knows? It might lead to something new, exciting, and wonderful. 

We all deserve a good wink. 

Don’t you agree?

Comments

Sande said…
While I greatly enjoyed you sharing that the female simply had something in her eye, like you
I cannot recall sending or receiving a wink and most often think of a wink as sharing an
inside joke. Unfortunately, most of the people with whom I share inside jokes with probably
need to be in therapy. So, I cannot commit to the revival of winking. Should that change, however, I will surely let you know. (wink included)