Wine, Kids, and Nightmares

Not long ago a friend and I took a day trip and visited the wineries in Temecula, California. It's beautiful country. We stopped at numerous wineries to taste the various Merlots, Cabernets, and a spectacular dry Grenache Rose. We listened to the histories of the wineries and learned all about the wine making process.

At the last winery we visited I was beginning to feel the effects of wine on an empty stomach. I decided to take a break and sit on the patio and people watch.

Suddenly I thought I was seeing double. I blinked. I squinted. I blinked again. I felt dizzy, dazed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Sitting across from me was this little girl with her grandmother. She was maybe four years old. A cute little thing with a page boy haircut and rosy cheeks. Clutched in the girl's arms was another little girl that looked just like her - identical - and in a matching outfit.

I assumed it was her baby sister until she got up and walked around the picnic table dragging the identical twin by the arm. My heart sped up. She was gonna injure that child!

The grandmother was sitting there watching this brutality without saying a word. I yelled out for her to rescue the child.

The grandmother looked at me and smiled. "It's her identical twin doll."

The little girl sauntered over to me and showed me this porcelain creature.

"Isn’t she beautiful?" she asked.

All I could do was muster a faint smile and say "adorable." The truth is I found it weird, freaky. I felt I was trapped in an episode of "The Twilight Zone."

Ever since then I've been having this recurring nightmare where I'm being chased through the streets of a pristine suburban neighborhood by something I cannot see. It's the most terrifying feeling. I run and I run and I run and the terror is hot on my heels.

Suddenly I turn down a side street; a dead end street called Purgatory Way. Beautiful houses are everywhere. I try opening the doors but they're all locked. At the end of the street is a huge red brick wall. I try crawling up the wall but cannot scale it. I let out a primal scream that echoes in the silence that surrounds me.

I slowly turn around and see hundreds and hundreds of dolls that look exactly like me. Their eyes are crazed. Their tongues are wagging like they haven't eaten in weeks. I fall to my knees and beg for my life. Their tiny little arms reach out for me…

And then I wake up in a cold sweat all tangled up in the sheets.

I now hate dolls.

(c) 2006 MC528. All Rights Reserved.

Comments