Native North American Child

There are a handful of musical artists as relevant today as they were when they first came onto the music scene. Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen certainly come to mind. There's also Native American singer/songwriter Buffy Sainte-Marie.

She began her career in the sixties singing in coffeehouses but was soon blacklisted by the Johnson administration for her outspoken views on the Vietnam War and the plight of the Native Americans. She went on to earn worldwide acclaim but was sadly overlooked in the United States.

Her classic songs include: "Universal Soldier" (a hit for Donovan), "Until It's Time For You To Go" (recorded by Elvis Presley, Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, Cher, and numerous others) and "Up Where We Belong," the theme from "An Officer And A Gentleman" which earned her an Oscar for Best Original Song.

I've been a huge Buffy fan for many years. Her unique voice and passion hits you with an incredible power. If you don't know her you need to discover her now. I recommend her beautiful CD "Up Where We Belong," a collection of new recordings of some of her most loved songs.

It's difficult for me to name just a few but here are some of my all-time favorite Buffy songs:

"Native North American Child"
"Cod'ine"
"Little Wheel Spin and Spin"
"Starwalker"
"Now That The Buffalo's Gone"
"My Country 'Tis of They People You're Dying"
"Soldier Blue"
"The Big Ones Get Away"
"Fallen Angels"
"He's An Indian Cowboy In The Rodeo"
"Moonshot"
"Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee"

What's really exciting is that a live CD of her Carnegie Hall concert is finally being released in December. Fans have been waiting a long time for this treasure.

And that's not all! Buffy recently announced a new CD of new songs coming "in the spring of 2007."

Wow. 'Tis the season of Buffy…

Comments

ballgame said…
OK, I was doing the 'search for a random blog' thing when I stumbled on yours. I had to bookmark you on the basis of your 'about me' description alone ("I used to think I was a dullard…")!

When I happen upon blogs with literally no comments, I always wonder if the owner actually prefers it that way (i.e. writing for the Big Anonymous Universe instead of for Actual People, who are, as you've discovered …)
Michael Coscia said…
Thanks for checking out my blog. Come back again soon... you never know what you'll find posted here. I'm here to inform, entertain, and be the hoot that I am.
QC said…
Thanks for the news. I had no idea there are TWO new Buffy Sainte-Marie CDs in the work! I agree with you. She is, without doubt, one of the great ones.
Owen said…
That's a good selection - I'd add 'Generation' to it, a very special song for me. I love 'Indian Cowboy', such a perfect expression of that first teenage crush on someone. Buffy is an angel.