12 Gems

It's been decades since I've purchased a Neil Diamond recording. He lost me somewhere in the early 80s when he sang a song about that over-rated creature from outer space, ET. What was he thinking? "Turn on your heartlight. Let it shine wherever you go…" I wanted that damn ET to burn out and die. From there it was downhill all the way for Neil and me. I yearned for the Neil of yore, the Brill Building writer who gave us "Solitary Man," "Sweet Caroline," "Holly Holy," "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show," and "I Am I Said."

Just when I had written him off as someone that I used to like, he comes out with "12 Songs," produced by the incredible Rick Rubin (who brought the Dixie Chicks back from the Bush backlash). It's the CD he was destined to make. The songs are deep and emotional with none of the schmaltz that's plagued his past recordings. This is stripped down music that reinvents Neil Diamond the artist.

Treat yourself for Christmas and purchase this wonderful CD.

Comments