Revenge of the Dummies

The other night I saw Dead Silence, a new horror film from the team that brought us Saw. It's about a ventriloquist named Mary Shaw who kidnaps and murders a bratty boy who insulted her at one of her shows. The townspeople of Raven Fair hunt her down, cut her tongue out, and kill her. She's buried, along with her dummies, in the town cemetery.

Shortly thereafter fear and death plagues Raven Fair. The dummies come out of their graves and seek revenge on all the families involved in Mary Shaw's death.

Beware the stare of Mary Shaw
She had no children, only dolls
And if you see her do not scream
Or she'll rip your tongue out at the seam


There's blood. There's gore. There's lots of people having their tongues ripped out.

I wasn't terrified at all… no gasping, no closing my eyes in anticipation, no jumping from my seat, no screaming, no fear, and certainly no nightmares.

Occasionally I did howl with laughter at some of the inane dialogue, bad acting, and hideous leaps-of-faith that were thrust upon us with its thin storyline.

Dead Silence missed the mark for me. What should've been scary wasn't scary at all.

Comments