Cover Me Chocolate

There has so much controversy these past few weeks over the life-size chocolate Jesus, the "My Sweet Lord" exhibit that was unfortunately shut down before it opened in New York. What's all the fuss about? Chocolate's rich. Chocolate's sweet. Chocolate's loved by everyone.


We've seen the image of both Jesus and the Virgin Mary in potato chips. Then there was the Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich. We've also got the Velvet Elvis.

Personally I prefer chocolate over grilled cheese and velvet any day.

Artist Cosimo Cavallaro sculptured Jesus in more than 200 pounds of milk chocolate, and it stands six feet tall. To devote so much time to such a creation makes me believe that he did it with genuine feeling and without any malicious intent. If I were Jesus I'd be delighted be to covered in milk chocolate.

Last week hardly anyone knew about Cosimo Cavallaro. Now everyone does. In their effort to thwart attention to "My Sweet Lord," the protesters created incredible PR, not for themselves, but for the artist.

No PR is bad PR, so I think I'm going to continue with my own art project: an interpretation of the Last Supper made out of crushed Pringle potato chips.

Hey Cosimo, if you ever want to sculpt me in chocolate that would be fine, though I prefer dark chocolate.

Comments