Greetings From Kapaa


My life has been turned upside down and all around over the past week, and it’s all good, real good.

Since March I’ve been working in film production as a production secretary for a film that’s being filmed in both Los Angeles and Hawaii. I was hired for the Los Angeles office only, and was told I wouldn’t be working on location in Hawaii (Kapaa, Kauai to be exact).

Well I’ve had a quick lesson in don’t believe everything you’re told…

On Monday night I received a call from my boss. She asked me how I looked in a grass skirt. I said “sexy.” She then told me to pack I it up because I was coming to Hawaii.

Long story short, two days later I arrived in Kapaa, Kauai and I’ll be here for the next few weeks (possibly longer).

I’m working long hours and haven’t had the opportunity to see a lot but what I’ve seen is absolutely beautiful. The ocean is a shade of blue I’ve never seen before. It’s mesmerizing.

There are roosters roaming freely all over the place. They start cock-a-doodle-doing around 4:30 in the morning. Supposedly it was during the hurricane of ’92 that the coops were destroyed and the roosters saw an opportunity to escape and did. They’ve since multiplied and set up home all over the island. The other morning while walking to work I encountered seven roosters.

What’s most exciting is that Buffy Sainte-Marie lives on the island of Kauai in the town of Kapaa. I have admired her and her songs for a long time. If you don’t know who she is I urge you to check her out. Her CD “Up Where We Belong” is a great introduction to the brilliance of Buffy.

I secretly hope that as I’m wandering Kapaa I will see her roaming too. I wonder if she’d have a cup of coffee with me? If I see her I’ll have to ask.

I’ve got tomorrow off of work. After I roam around maybe I’ll take hula lessons. Now that would be a hoot!

Comments

Owen said…
C'mon then! Let's see that grass skirt!

You *must* see Buffy while you're there!