Bonfire of the Soul

Aloha from Kapaa, Kauai.

Yup, I’m still here in Hawaii working on “Tropic Thunder,” a film that’s being released next summer. What was supposed to be a couple of weeks work for me has turned into a couple of months. I’m now scheduled to return to Los Angeles on October 5th. I’m having a great time.

There truly is something magical about this island. I’m a non-country boy through and through; comfortable around concrete buildings, taxis, traffic, and throngs of people everywhere I turn. Kauai is certainly the opposite, and surprisingly I feel like I belong here. A few natives told me the island either embraces you or rejects you. It seems to be embracing me with an incredible hug.

Last weekend the producers hosted a party for the cast and crew; lots of food, drink, music, and fun. Afterwards a group of us went across the road to the Pacific Ocean and built a bonfire on the beach.

Here are two pictures of me. The first one I look like a mirage, a ghost, a massive ball of energy.
In the second picture I was so close to the fire I could feel myself ready to ignite, and it felt good. I love the raw power of fire, the way the flames dance against the sky, and the way it brings everyone together. I didn’t want the night to end.I’ve made some wonderful friends here and will miss them when I leave. Luckily with email and cell phones they’ll be a quick message or conversation away.

Comments