Up, Up, and Away

To celebrate my last weekend on the beautiful island of Kauai I went with a group of friends for a helicopter ride over the island.

At first I was a bit apprehensive because for years I’ve suffered a fear of heights. Rollercoasters, Ferris Wheels, Stepladders, open balconies, and glass elevators would create such fear that I couldn’t move.

So when I got invited for the helicopter ride I immediately decided I’d forego the opportunity of a lifetime and spend the day walking around Kapaa and treating myself to mango flavored shaved ice. Then I thought about it and decided I was a complete ass for even thinking about not partaking. I dug deep inside myself for an ounce of courage and made my way to the helicopter landing.


It wasn’t until I got there that I was told – and saw - it was a helicopter used in the movie I’m working on, and one without doors. I didn’t have time to panic. My group was the first to go.

As we edged forward to the big metal bird that I was about to entrust my life I just accepted my fate and silently prayed that nothing would go wrong.

I buckled up. The propeller started spinning round. I closed my eyes. Liftoff.

Up, up, and away we went…Beautiful.Absolutely beautiful.It was an incredible experience, one I’ll never forget.

I’ll get the mango flavored shaved ice another time.

Comments

Owen said…
I prefer pineapple to mango but I spent Saturday morning painting mango-coloured flowers on a bookcase. I may blog about that one day...

Are you home yet?