StatCounter

Monday, October 08, 2007

Up, Up, and Away

To celebrate my last weekend on the beautiful island of Kauai I went with a group of friends for a helicopter ride over the island.

At first I was a bit apprehensive because for years I’ve suffered a fear of heights. Rollercoasters, Ferris Wheels, Stepladders, open balconies, and glass elevators would create such fear that I couldn’t move.

So when I got invited for the helicopter ride I immediately decided I’d forego the opportunity of a lifetime and spend the day walking around Kapaa and treating myself to mango flavored shaved ice. Then I thought about it and decided I was a complete ass for even thinking about not partaking. I dug deep inside myself for an ounce of courage and made my way to the helicopter landing.


It wasn’t until I got there that I was told – and saw - it was a helicopter used in the movie I’m working on, and one without doors. I didn’t have time to panic. My group was the first to go.

As we edged forward to the big metal bird that I was about to entrust my life I just accepted my fate and silently prayed that nothing would go wrong.

I buckled up. The propeller started spinning round. I closed my eyes. Liftoff.

Up, up, and away we went…Beautiful.Absolutely beautiful.It was an incredible experience, one I’ll never forget.

I’ll get the mango flavored shaved ice another time.

1 comment:

Owen said...

I prefer pineapple to mango but I spent Saturday morning painting mango-coloured flowers on a bookcase. I may blog about that one day...

Are you home yet?