Where’s Maupin?

For the past two years I’ve been carrying in my messenger bag an article I printed from cnn.com (November 4, 2005) entitled “Missing Iraq Soldier’s Mom Demands Answers.” It’s about the only soldier the Army had, at that time, listed as captured in Iraq, and his mother’s pleas for answers about his disappearance. He’s Army Reserve Sgt. Keith “Matt” Maupin of Batavia, Ohio, and he’s been missing since April 9, 2004.

I’ve searched for updates to his story and I seem to hit a wall. Where is he? What’s happened to him?

What we do know is that insurgents west of Baghdad ambushed his fuel truck convoy. A week later a videotape was released on Arab television network showing Maupin surrounded by masked gunmen, all holding automatic rifles.

A few months later another videotape was released on Arab television network showing a US soldier being shot. The video was dark and grainy and never showed the soldier’s face. It was purported to be Maupin but an Army spokesman declared the video “totally inconclusive.”

In April it will be four years since Maupin’s disappearance and I haven’t been able to find any information on his whereabouts.

The media seems to have forgotten about him. How tragic.

Maupin deserves more than being a war statistic. He needs to be found, and we need to keep asking questions until the Army and Administration give us answers.

I will continue to carry that article with me until I find out what really happened to him.

Comments