Navajo Code Talker

This past weekend I went to the 40th Annual California Indian Center Pow Wow at the Autry National Center in Los Angeles.

There were food booths, craft booths, and Native American dancers.

When I first got there I made a beeline to the frybread counter and savored every bite of a frybread taco. There’s something about frybread that sends my taste buds into overdrive, and I always look forward to having it.

After the frybread I wandered the booths and headed over to watch the dancing. My dear friend Mary has always wanted to dance with the Native Americans and she was able to join in on one of the dances. She was over-the-moon happy.

The absolute highlight for me was meeting Joe Morris Sr., a USMC Navajo Code Talker, whose contribution to the allied forces in World War II were pivotal to us winning the war. It was an extreme honor to meet him.

I look forward to next year's Pow Wow.

365 days and counting...

Comments