Screaming Acorns...

The other day while browsing the Internet I came across an interesting fact:

It’s not until oak trees are at least twenty years old, and in some cases fifty years old, that they produce acorns. Hmmm... that’s a long time for an oak tree to reach puberty.

The next time I’m out in the forest, or walking the streets of Los Angeles, and come across an oak tree without acorns, a virgin oak, I’ll know the reason why. I’ll entertain/impress my friends with my oak tree intelligence.

For all those inconsiderate people who chop down trees without any regard for the tree’s life-cycle, well... as you rev that chainsaw just think about all those unborn acorns that will never see the light of day. If you listen real closely as the chainsaw murders the tree you’ll hear the mutilating cries of the screaming acorns Long live the mighty oak.

Comments

Owen said…
There's loads of horse chestnuts dropping from trees round my way at the moment. The nuts are also called conkers and have been part of the male childhood forever. Kids heat them in ovens, boil them in vinegar and do other esoteric things to make them harder and then battle it out to have the hardest conker of the season...