Southern Charm

My stay in Baton Rouge comes to an end this Friday, and then it’s back to Los Angeles to my apartment and friends and all my things I’ve missed while here. This has been a wonderful experience and I look forward to possibly coming back in January for another film project.

To celebrate my last weekend here I ventured to Darrow, Louisiana to visit the Houmas House Plantation and Gardens, half way between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The Houmas House? Isn’t houmas something made with chick peas and served on pita bread? Humas is the chick pea thing, and this Houmas is the plantation, the Crown Jewel of the Louisiana River Front. Oh yes, oh yes it is.


The very first owners of the plantation were the indigenous Houmas Indians who sold the land in the 1700s to Maurice Conway and Alexander Latil. By the time of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 the plantation was producing sugar, and it was one of the most successful plantations in the area.

If you want to know more, and I suggest you do, go to www.houmashouse.com and learn all the details of its rich and astounding history...

Ghosts have been known to inhabit the property.

The plantation has a heroically Greek Revival exterior.

The plantation features two garconierres.

“Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte” (starring Bette Davis) was filmed there in 1964.

Shall I go on? One more thing...

The plantation also boasts beautiful gardens and two fine restaurants and a wine cellar.

It’s simply beautiful; southern charm at its absolute best.

Comments