Costumes and Cocktails

Movies are a big part of my life, and this weekend was no exception, except I didn’t see any movies but did have the opportunity to go to the Opening Night Reception of The 17th Annual Art of Motion Picture Costume Design Exhibition at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) in Los Angeles.

This is an amazing collection of movie costumes from 2008.

I neglected to bring my camera thinking photos would not be allowed, but they were. Note to self: Remember the camera next time!

There were costume displays from the following films:

The Spirit
Superhero Movie
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
The Dark Knight
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Speed Race
Stop Loss
Appaloosa
Changeling
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Valkyrie
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Duchess
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Mamma Mia!
The House Bunny
The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons
The Fall
The Love Guru
Milk
The Spiderwick Chronicles
Tropic Thunder

I’ve always taken movie costumes for granted, never realizing the tremendous amount of talent, work, and dedication that goes into creating each character’s look. I have a new respect for the brilliance of costume designers.

After oohing and aahing throughout the exhibit my friends and I wandered into the reception and enjoyed conversation, cocktails, and a delicious buffet.

The exhibit officially opens Wednesday, January 28th and continues through Sunday, March 29th. It’s free to the public and definitely worth the trip downtown.

Comments