I Blog About Logs

The Internet is so full of information; sometimes useful, sometimes not so useful, but interesting nonetheless.

Today I came across this little bit of info about Lincoln Logs, one of my favorite childhood toys.

Lincoln Logs were invented in 1916 by John Lloyd Wright, the son of architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

The original instructions taught you how to build replicas of Uncle Tom’s cabin and Abraham Lincoln’s cabin. Hmmm, those instructions I don’t remember. The Christmas morning I got the logs I was too excited to start building and probably trashed the instructions along with the gift wrap paper that Santa’s helpers used to wrapped my present.

Originally the logs were made out of wood (which mine were), but as the era of plastic emerged the logs lost their authenticity and were mass produced as plastic. Fortunately for children now (and some adults) the logs are back to being wood.

I remember my Lincoln Logs fondly.

Comments