It’s All In The Hips

Sunday wasn’t all about shaking while my apartment shook from under me. The earthquake, originally reported as a 5.0, turned out to be a mere 4.7 on the Richter Scale. News reports predicted sizable aftershocks, but as of yet I haven’t felt the slightest jolt. I’m strangely disappointed.

Earlier Sunday, BE (before earthquake), a friend and I ventured over to Echo Park Lake on the eastern side of Silverlake for the Cuban Music Festival. The sun was shining, the temperature hovered around eighty degrees, and the scent of Cuban food mingled with the sounds of Cuban music to create a joyous celebration of Cuban culture.


When we arrived we made a beeline to the food and certainly weren’t disappointed. I had shredded pork with plantains and rice. It was simply delicious.

With our hunger pangs satisfied we wandered the music area and listened to the band play and watched people dance. The dance action looked so fluid yet when I tried it I looked like a demented uptight suburbanite without an ounce of rhythm. It’s all in the hips, and my hips seemed to be quite rusty, arthritic.

All in all I had a terrific time. Here are some other pictures I took:



Comments