Le Fils de L'Epicier

For some unknown reason I had placed “The Grocer’s Son” (“Le Fils de L’Epicier) on my NetFlix queue. I cannot seem to remember who recommended it, or if I had read something about it that piqued my interest, but every time I checked my queue there it stood at the top of my list with red letters saying “very long wait.” Because it wasn’t available my need to watch it got stronger and stronger.

And finally the long wait dwindled and “The Grocer’s Son” made its way into my mailbox.
It was well worth the wait.

“The Grocer’s Son” is the story of Antoine, a thirty year old, who’s forced to leave his life in the big city and return to his family in the French country after his father suffers a stroke. Antoine ends up driving the family grocery van throughout the area selling and delivery groceries. At first his family and villagers don’t accept him and his stubborn, gruff ways, but as time passes and love sparks, Antoine re-discovers himself, re-connects with his family, and learns that he does love the place he once swore he’d never return to.

This is one of those small wonderful films that takes a simple story, one that’s been told numerous times in film, and gives it room to breathe and grow. With deft direction by Eric Guirado and nuanced performances from Nicolas Cazale (Antoine) and Clotilde Hesme (as Antoine’s love interest) the film leads us into the lives of complicated, yet loving people, whose journeys hold a mirror to our own lives.

If I were doing a rating system I’d give “The Grocer’s Son” five out of five baguettes.

Comments