Monty Python 40 Years Later

I’m going to admit something to you, my faithful readers, that I have never admitted before: I have never seen a Monty Python skit. That’s right.

I used to think that Monty Python was a person with a strange name who lived across the Atlantic somewhere in England. I assumed he had a big head with lots of curly hair, crossed-eyes, a pronounced chin, flat feet, and was on the rather fat size. I also assumed that this Monty Python man was rather vile and the only way to enjoy his comedy was to be either drunk or stoned or mentally deranged.

Whenever someone would start blah-blah-blahing about this Monty Python I would quietly leave the room and go to the bathroom. I found all that Monty Python talk better than bran muffin. Flush.

So it came as a big surprise last night when I ended up in the audience at The Ricardo Montalban Theatre in Los Angeles for “An Evening Without Monty Python.” Everyone around me was an enthusiastic Python-er and when I innocently confessed to the couple sitting next to me that I’d never seen a Monty Python skit I thought they were going to go into cardiac arrest. When they finally calmed down they assured me that I would love it once I tried it.

And love it I did!

This show is a 40th anniversary celebration of Monty Python’s Flying Circus and it stars Jeff B. Davis, Jane Leeves, Alan Tudyk, Rick Homes, and Jim Piddock. They were magnificent performing The Parrot Sketch, The Bruces, Spanish Inquisition, Argument, Lumberjack Song, Nudge, Nudge, and others.

I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. I even joined in with the singing of the Lumberjack song. It’s quite the catchy tune.

Being the late-Monty-Python-bloomer that I am, I’ve got a lot of catching up to do so I’m going to log on to Netflix and get me some Monty Python in my queue.

Comments