A Panoramic View

Last weekend I journeyed out of Los Angeles and drove two hours to Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara, sometimes referred to as the “American Riviera,” feels like a universe away from the congested, traffic-ridden, cell-phone talking while driving and not looking where you’re going Los Angeles. Everywhere you look it’s beautiful and peaceful.

At first my rate of breathing had a difficult time adjusting. I’m usually a heavy breather trying to stay alive in my world of constant anxiety, but there I could slow down and get lost in the beauty that hypnotized me. Aaah.

After a delicious lunch as a small Danish cafe my friend and I wandered around downtown, visiting a couple of adobes, and ended up on the roof of the Court House for a gorgeous panoramic view. On a clear day you can see forever and that’s exactly what we saw.




While up on the roof we met a bride and groom having photos taken. They were getting married later that afternoon and then heading to Greece for a two week honeymoon. She looked beautiful, but what bride doesn’t? (Well, I have been to a couple of weddings where the bride looked more bridezilla than human, but that’s another story I’ll detail some other time.)

The groom looked good, except instead of wearing black formal shoes with his tux he was wearing black and white checkered canvas shoes you’d wear to the beach. Hmm, I wondered why but refrained from asking. Maybe it's a Santa Barbara groom tradition?

What concerned me more was that if they weren’t yet married isn’t it back luck for the groom to see the bride before the ceremony? Only time will tell.

I love Santa Barbara and can’t wait to go back again.

Comments