Oh Jesus

This week I read an interesting tidbit about a Massachusetts woman who had a divine revelation. No, a bright light didn’t shine before her and speak in a deep voice telling her the winning lottery numbers. What she did see was the image of Jesus on the bottom of her iron. She interpreted this as a sign that “life is going to be good.”

Here’s the photo of the iron with Jesus on the bottom looking rather rusty, but still divine: This has gotten me thinking about the time that I too saw the face of Jesus staring right out at me from the most unexpected place. It sent shivers through my body and has remained a life-changing moment in my life. Father O’Brien would be so happy to hear this.

It happened one morning not too long ago when I took a hike in the park and stopped by the small cafe for a coffee and scone, a blueberry almond oat scone to be exact. I was sipping the organic brew and enjoying the beauty of nature that surrounded me when a bee flew too close for comfort. I swatted it with all my might but the little buzzer flew away.

I then grabbed my half-eaten scone and that’s when I noticed something... something that seemed to be looking back at me... was it the bee I just tried killing... no, it wasn’t... was it something the baker accidentally baked into the scone?.... no, it wasn’t... it was something that had a power, an energy... it mesmerized me, pulling me to it... I leaned closer and closer into that blueberry almond oat scone...

I looked. I blinked. I looked again. I couldn’t believe my eyes.

There in the nooks and crannies of my chewed scone was the face of Jesus.

Aaah... I heard a choir of angels singing as sweet as a flock of pigeons.

I don’t know how long I sat there staring at Jesus in my scone, but it was a feeling I will never forget.

Then that goddamn bee came back and knocked my out of my Jesus trance. Buzz, buzz, buzz... I knocked that thing senseless. Dead.

Then I heard my stomach growl, and without thinking I grabbed the scone and ate Jesus. I swallowed him and washed him down with gulp of coffee.

I took this as a profound sign that next time I need to sit inside the cafe.

Comments