Gotta Get Down on Friday

Sometimes viral videos are truly fun in that totally demented warped sense and were created to be just that. But sometimes they’re meant to be good and end of being so bad they’re deliciously addictive guilty pleasures.

And so it goes with Rebecca Black and her song “Friday.” Oh yes, it’s addictive. After one listen to the cheesy lyrics and simply derivative melody you’ll be bouncing around the house vacuuming and scrubbing the toilet to the rhythm of “It’s Friday, Friday, Gotta get down on Friday, Everybody’s looking forward to the weekend...”

That song gets under your skin like a bedbug. Hey, it won’t kill you though it might cause discomfort and a little rash. But isn’t that what a lot of pop songs do?

Making Love Out of Nothing At All
Tubthumping
I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Achy Breaky Heart
Ice Ice Baby
Who Let The Dogs Out
Disco Duck
My Heart Will Go On


And the list goes on and on...

Sure, in public we say these songs are the equivalent of Ex-Lax, but in private we cherish these ditties and sing along full-voice pretending we are the ones who made them famous. Right? Don’t deny it. We all know it’s the truth.

Late at night when the world is fast asleep I like to get cozy with my computer and watch Youtube videos of cheesy pop songs. Some I have secretly added to my ipod to enjoy while pumping iron at the gym.

So I say congratulations to Rebecca Black for getting over 39 million Youtube hits. I might - just might - download it onto my ipod... “We - we - we so excited...”

Comments