The Spaghetti Tree

All over the Internet the other day I kept reading about historic April Fool’s Day pranks that actually fooled folks. Some were outrageous and only the insanely gullible would ever believe such dribble. Some made me giggle. One in particular made me hungry.

In 1957 the BBC ran a segment about the coming of spring after a rather mild winter, and questioned what this meant for Swiss farmers. The answer they gave their attentive audience was an unusually large spaghetti crop. Well...

People contacted the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. Oh yes they did! And the BBC promptly responded with “place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best.”

I would love to harvest spaghetti trees.

During harvest time I’d lay in my hammock underneath my prized spaghetti trees swaying to the rhythm of the breeze holding a large porcelain bowl catching the spaghetti strands as they ripened and fell from the tree.

I’d then wander to my meatball tree... oh yes... I’d admire my prized balls... meat... turkey... soy... then I’d gently reach up and squeeze a branch (insert double cough here) until the balls fell into my porcelain bowl of spaghetti.

Then I’d head over to the marinara plant and pop the marinara blossoms until juicy marina squirted beautifully over my spaghetti and balls.

And as a final touch I’d visit the parmesan bushes that grow wild amongst the marinara plants. Shake, shake, shake the bush until the parmesan sprinkles lightly over the spaghetti, balls, and marinara.

And for dessert I’d sneak over to my neighbor’s house and steal a scrumptious connoli from their treasured connoli tree.

Mmm... mmm.... good.

I just planted a spaghetti spring in a tin of marinara.

Comments