A Holiday Cookie Miracle

I’m always thinking about food. I love to eat. I love to cook. I love to eat a lot. Thank goodness for the gym and my 21-speed bike because without them I’d be as huge as a two-car garage and have to be weighed on a Richter scale.

Oh food glorious food.

This past year I wrote an article called “A Tradition Continued” about my deceased mother and how we connected over food. Without her I would never have learned to cook, and I would never have learned to appreciate the power of a good recipe. Luckily that article has become a chapter in the book Chicken Soup for the Soul: Food and Love. At the end of my chapter is Mom’s recipe for her famous potato croquettes. Yum, yum, and yummy!

Speaking of food... Growing up in suburban Massachusetts, Wakefield to be exact, there was a bakery on Water Street, and if memory doesn’t fail me it was called Frank’s Bakery. The owners were Frank and Grace. They were Italian. They made incredible Italian bread along with incredible Italian pastries. Sadly that was years ago and the bakery is no longer there. Both Grace and Frank are deceased.

During the holidays I remember delicious chocolate cookies with chocolate icing. Oh they were special. I always looked forward to taking that first bite and having my taste buds come alive with that flavor, that holiday joy.

How can I describe them? They were chocolate and had a nutmeg flavor. I have searched the internet high and low and none of the recipes I’ve found come even close to what Grace and Frank made.

Every year during Christmas and New Year I get nostalgic for those chocolate iced chocolate cookies.

Maybe Grace and Frank’s next of kin reads my blog... and maybe just maybe the next of kin will have that recipe in an old recipe box... and maybe just maybe they would contact me and give me that recipe.

Now that would be a holiday cookie miracle.

Comments