Packing Tape Art

In my quest for more creativity I’ve been prowling the innards of the Internet for other creative folks in hopes that they will inspire me to leap out of my creative comfort zone.

I’ve sat at my computer hour after hour searching. Sometimes I get distracted by things I shouldn’t get distracted by (but that’s another blog). Sometimes I’m bored to tears. Sometimes I’m mildly amused. And sometimes, if I’m lucky, I’m highly amused and aroused and wanna dim all the lights and dance the dance of creative joy.

Today I came across Packing Tape Art. Yes, packing tape. The same tape you use to secure shipping boxes, and the same tape a few school teachers have illegally used to tape overactive students to their chairs.

I’ve always had a fondness for packing tape. It’s far superior to scotch tape and masking tape. It has more “stick” and it’s more durable. Those other tapes wither under extreme conditions. Packing tape is the survivor of all tapes.

Street artist Mark Jenkins has created some astounding scenes with packing tape. My favorite is the dogs in the trash. They look like the ghosts of dogs past....


"Once I have the finished sculpture, I'll put it out on the street or in nature or somewhere where it interacts with the environment," Jenkins says. "Really it's the idea of turning the street into a stage, so this urban theater has a life of its own."


Totally creative. Totally cool. I wish I thought of it.

Comments

Sissy said…
Pretty cool, thanks for the post...