The Red Clipboard

Someone recently sent me an email about a group get together where people bring a prized possession and take turns telling the group why they chose that possession and what it means to them.

This got me thinking... what is one of my prized possessions? It took a matter of seconds to reach across my desk and grasp my red clipboard.  A red clipboard with a lighter red map of the United States on it.


I have loved it since the day I received it. It was a birthday gift from my parents when I was in fourth grade. What provoked me to want a clipboard I haven’t a clue, but I’m sure glad I got it.

When I was in the fourth grade it was before hip hop, before grunge, before rap, before new wave, and just prior to disco.  In other words, I’ve had the red clipboard with the lighter red map of the United States for a long, long time.

It’s still in good shape. Sure there’s a a little wear and some rust on the clip, but the map is still there and unlike the Soviet Union, the map of the United States hasn’t changed.  Right?

Being somewhat geographically inept I can always look at my clipboard and see where I am.  I live on the west coast and my family’s on the east coast. When I’m planning a trip east and fantasize making it a road trip I can trace with my finger the states I’d want to pass through, pass over, or pass under to get to the east. I always conclude it’s too far to drive and opt for a plane.

So why the red clipboard? Simply because I love it, and it always reminds me of who gave it to me. Sure they’ve given me many other things over the years, including life, yet I keep coming back to the red clipboard.

With my red clipboard I never feel lost.

Comments