My Grocery Store Adventure

This afternoon I walked to the grocery to pick up a few items. It was a nice warm day and I figured I’d enjoy the fresh air. And yes oh yes I brought a canvas bag so I wouldn’t have to lug groceries home in a non-biodegradable plastic bag.

On my way out of the store I walked across the parking lot and turned onto the sidewalk.  As I made my turn two older women were walking towards me. One was pushing a small suitcase, the kind with wheels. She was in a total fit, and I noticed she was ready to kick something out of her way. She then pushed her little suitcase cart at what was blocking her as if to run it over.

I looked down and noticed there was a homeless man sleeping on the edge of the sidewalk. She could easily have walked by, and she did, but when she did she yelled “Why don’t you get out my way and go lay down in the parking lot so some car can run you over.”  

Her old lady friend eyed the homeless man and shook her head with disgust.

Whoah... hold on bitches...  

In a calm yet stern voice I told her the man sleeping on the sidewalk is a person, a man with a soul, and she should be ashamed of herself for saying something so awful, so horrible, so mean. 

That didn’t stop her from flapping her dentures and repeating, in a loud shrill of a voice, that the homeless man should be run over by a car.

Whoah.... If I ever see that lady again I’m gonna be tempted to push her into the street and laugh as a car runs her over. 

Okay I won’t do that because I don’t push old ladies into the street even if they are awful, horrible, and mean. But I’ll definitely think about it. 

And that was my adventure walking to the grocery store today.

I can’t wait for tomorrow when I walk to the library.

Comments