Star Spangled Lip-Synch


The media frenzy over whether or not Beyonce’s performance of "The Star Spangled Banner" was lip-synched is absolutely ridiculous. 

Political pundits took sides and the heated debates I saw were downright laughable. Maybe that was the whole point, to entertain people with lip-synch-gate to steer people away from the real issues like gun control, the stupid NRA, chemically altered food, climate change, nuclear weapons, and if Ben Affleck deserved an Oscar nomination. 

Beyonce is not Milli Vanilli. 

Milli Vanilli lip-synched to unattractive men’s voices. They were only hired because they had “the right look.”  I thought they looked like two silly jesters with ugly hair and embarrassing dance moves. I would’ve preferred seeing the unattractive bodies behind the real voices. 

Beyonce lip-synched to her own voice. She can sing, and she sings extremely well, and has proven herself with numerous live performances. 

So what’s the big friggin’ deal?  It was a star spangled lip-synch.

Some are saying it’s unpatriotic that she would lip-synch. Really? 

I am not a huge Beyonce fan. I don’t own any of her CDs but I am defending her decision to lip-synch. It was a cold temperature, it was outdoors, the acoustics were certainly not ideal, and the national anthem is an extremely difficult song to sing. 

If she sang live and messed it up everyone would be criticizing her for ruining the inauguration. 

Remember when Christina Aguilera botched the words, and Roseanne screeched her way through the song like a rusty engine? I’m sure they both wish they lip-synched, and I’m pretty sure Roseanne wished she did a Milli Vanilli and lip-synched to someone else’s voice. 

When I saw that large microphone covering Beyonce’s mouth I assumed she was lip-synching, and I didn’t care. What I cared about was the inauguration of President Obama.

Let’s give Beyonce a break. She performed it beautifully, and for a brief moment everyone was united when she sang, “O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

It sent chills down my patriotic spine. 


Comments