Yoga Face


One Saturday not too long ago I decided I needed to get more centered, more into a spiritual state of mind, and most importantly more limber.  My old bones were petrifying and calcifying with every tick of the death-clock and I needed to turn back time and I needed to do it asap.

Tick… tick… tick

I logged on to the Internet and found a yoga studio not too far from home. With my somewhat skewed sense of self I thought I could handle a ninety minute class so I immediately signed up.

Tick… tick… tick

I struggled through that first class doing my best to hide my bruised ego and sad, sad yoga poses. I secretly eyed the woman on the mat beside me to mimic her every move. Her legs seemed to twist and bend like young willow branches whereas mine felt like dead logs mired in mud.

In the silence of the room I swear everyone could hear my muscles and bones screaming to stop, stop, stop.

I was asking my body to get physical and my body was telling me to fuck off.  

Tick… tick… tick

Never being one to admit defeat or failure I signed up for another class. I was determined to be a good yoga practitioner, damn it, and achieve limberness.

But age can be a cruel friend and the ticking clock a torment. 

At last week's class as I struggled to swing my leg over over head while my other leg tried desperately to balance my unbalanced body I could no longer hide my anguish and I grimaced, and then I puckered my face with all the pain of screaming bones and muscles.

Ooooooo!
And in the silence of the pose the teacher yelled out “Michael. Relax your face!”
Uuuuuugh!
Her words pulsated through my body and echoed through the room.  Michael… Relax… Your… Face…

And so I slowly did… and when I did my core being seemed to react, to loosen, to relish a moment,  and my muscles stopped screaming.  For a brief moment I experienced a true yoga moment. 

Aaaaaaaaaaaah!
And then the teacher told us to change position. Damn.
What pose?
Tick… tick… tick

Comments