My Near-Death Experienced Spoiled

I always heard that the moment of surrender, that special moment when we transition from earthly life to heavenly life, we are in a state of peace and calm with a choir of angels beckoning with their pitch perfect voices accompanied by the gentle serenade of a harp. The white light. The beautiful journey…


Aaah… aaah… aaah…

Unfortunately, my recent near-death experience had none of that.

It was quite recently that I was sitting at my desk at work all tensed up over something stupid that was happening. I don’t remember exactly what brought me to the brink of death, but I could feel the sudden onslaught of high blood pressure, frustration trying to talk with only staccato phrases passing through my lips, and dizziness. My face turned red. My co-worker noticed something was amiss and suggested I have a sip of water.

I made the decision not to die in front of her, though I certainly felt it was imminent. I got up and mumbled something incoherent about going to the bathroom, and off to the bathroom I staggered.

Once inside, I leaned against the semi-stained porcelain sink and held on for dear life.

My head was spinning and I was convinced I was about to drop down. I positioned myself so that when I fell I wouldn’t bang my head against the sink. I didn’t want to be found in a pool of blood in a men’s room. I wanted to be a bloodless corpse.

I was ready to let go…

What I heard as I buckled at the knees was not the sound of angels but the guttural grunts of a deep voice followed by an explosion of farts, bombastic farts. It was a huge chorus of eardrum piercing bombastic farts followed by even more grunts.

WTF?  I clenched my ass cheeks and realized it wasn’t me letting loose. It was someone in the stall.

I took what little strength I had and held on tight to the sink. I absolutely refused to fall down dead and have my soul escape my body while on the dirty floor of a bathroom to the rhythm of someone farting a rock opera.


The guy in the stall (possibly a co-worker or even my boss) had no idea of what was happening outside the stall.

What did I do? I reached across the sink and turned on the water and splashed life back into me. I breathed in and out until my dizziness subsided. I slowly forced myself back to life.

Should I have knocked on the stall door and thanked him? If I did, what would I have said? Your farts are a lifesaver?

Instead, I headed back to my office, grateful to be alive, and finished my work.

My dying is going to have to wait.

I want angels and harps next time.

(true story)

Comments