Electric Scooters In The Neighborhood



It is with equal parts joy and dismay that I welcome electric scooters to my neighborhood. 

Joy because scooters could replace cars for short distance errands.

Dismay because neighborhoods must now deal with a new set of potential scooter-related problems. 

A few days ago, with a canvas bag of groceries slung over my shoulder, I was walking along the sidewalk heading home when I saw two people on scooters on the sidewalk coming towards me. 

My first thought was wow, that looks like fun… 

Then I noticed the two scooters approaching at a rather face pace.  

I was suddenly lost in a fantasy of me on a scooter with a long scarf draped around my neck with its ends swinging in the breeze as I moved along to disco music playing in my earphones. 

I giggled at the wildness of my imagination… 

Then I saw the two scooters getting closer and closer… and they didn’t seem to be slowing down or making any attempt to avoid a head-on collision with me.  

They saw me. I saw them. 

Was this a scooter game of chicken? 

Closer… closer… closer they came… 

My fear took over. They were not going to get out of my way!

I jumped off the sidewalk in the nick of time, nearly falling to the ground and losing my groceries. I could have broken the eggs or punctured the milk carton I was carrying! And did they care? No! 

The two scooters continued on their way as if I wasn’t there. 

WTF?

Are scooters the new threat to sidewalk walking? 

If so, I foresee lots of scooter-related pedestrian collisions with some escalating into dangerous scooter-rage.

Ugh! 

Comments