A Little Bit of Kindness


I love walking around Los Angeles. There’s always something interesting happening, and interesting people to see.

As I was walking through my neighborhood yesterday, I came upon a woman, obviously homeless, transferring her belongings from one torn hefty trash bag to a newer, less torn one. She was straddling the gutter and the sidewalk fully immersed in her task. I felt a need to interrupt her concentration with an afternoon hello, and I did, with a bouncy “Good afternoon!”

She stopped what she was doing and looked around and saw only me. She then realized my greeting was intended for her. 

She said hello.

I continued walking but what she said next made me stop in my tracks.

She said most people look at her and think she’s disgusting (her word, not mine) and tell her she’s disgusting. She motioned to her ragged clothes and trash bagged belongings.

She was about to say more, but I interrupted and told her she’s not the least bit disgusting.

And then I told her she’s beautiful.

She brought her hands to her heart and broke out is a huge smile, an infectious beautiful smile, and was on the verge of tears. She told me how happy I made her.

I told her to have a wonderful day and as I walked away, she yelled after me, “God is great and He’s watching over all of us. Have a beautiful day!”

And a beautiful day I had…

A little bit of kindness goes a long way… for everyone.

We need more of that in this world, so spread the kindness!

Comments