I Cheated on Dunkin’


Anyone who knows me knows I love Dunkin’ Donuts… oops, now with its one-word moniker Dunkin’… with my heart and soul. For me, a Dunkin’ coffee and a Dunkin’ donut is probably the best pairing of liquid and solid ever.

Dunkin’ has been my loyal partner in coffee and donuts for years and years and years. However, when the hunger/thirst overtakes me and there’s no Dunkin’ close by, I sometimes lose all sense of loyalty.  

Recently, I was innocently walking through Los Angeles from one destination to another when I got the itch, the urge, the deep dark desire for a coffee and donut.  I wondered aloud if there was a Dunkin’ nearby. 

Sniff, sniff. What was that scent wafting through the air? Sniff, sniff.

Was that the scent of coffee? A donut too? Was my hankering manifesting itself with delirium and false scents? Or was there a Dunkin’ nearby?

Suddenly, right before me at the northeast corner of Highland Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard, I saw it… a pinkish building with huge letters announcing Trejo’s Coffee and Donuts. It was like a beacon beckoning me, enticing me to enter and taste.


I entered knowing full well I was not being loyal to Dunkin’. I felt naughty and dirty and I knew it was wrong, yet something possessed me to continue.

The array of beautifully decorated and beautifully shaped donuts set my taste buds ablaze. I wasn’t thinking. It was like the blood had drained from my head.

I settled on a donut called Abuelita, a raised donut with dark chocolate and chocolate crumble on top, and a 12-ounce coffee.


I took my first bite and immediately fell into a mental state of donut-bliss. Delicious Abuelita. Yummy Abuelita. I wanted more Abuelita.

And the coffee? It sailed across my tongue with ease and left my taste buds alive with flavor and eager to sip more.

I knew right then and there that I would be back again.

I cheated on Dunkin’ and fell in love with Trejo’s.

I now understand how Eve felt when she bit the forbidden apple… pure aah!

Comments