Bloated Ego Under a Cloud of Smoke


Sometimes you try to do the right thing but end up getting kicked in the lungs.

Recently, I hired someone whom I thought I was giving an opportunity, a chance to make a career change in her middle-aged years. She knew exactly what the position was going to be and she eagerly accepted it. I thought yeah for me and yeah for her.

I thought wrong.

I should have known it was a mistake when on the second day she told me everyone was doing everything inefficiently, and that she knew the best way to get things done. I gave her a pass on her ballsy proclamation assuming she was just being pro-active wanting to impress me with her (lack of) knowledge.

I assumed wrong.

Then came the vaping. I didn’t see it the first time, but the manager of the building saw her vaping and immediately told her there was absolutely no vaping in the building.  He then complained to me about her, and I spoke with her about it. Not being one who needs to be told twice, I thought the issue had gone up in smoke.

It didn’t.


Later that afternoon, I happened to look over at her desk and saw her leaning over as if she was crawling under her desk. It was quite the site seeing a middle-aged woman bending over with her head under her desk sneaking a quick vape. A light-colored cloud of gray smoke rose from under the desk. She slowly sat up with her eyes darting every which way, like a child about to be caught with her hand in the cookie jay.

I once again warned her about not vaping in the office, and she promised she would stop.

Liar... liar...

About an hour later when she thought I left to go to the bathroom, she openly vaped puffing smoke like an old wrinkled volcano.

Enough was enough.

She was a know-it-all who knew nothing. She was a defiant office vaper. And she proved herself to be a lousy worker with a bad attitude.

Her bloated ego is now under a cloud of smoke in someone else's office, probably her home office because I cannot imagine anyone ever hiring her. 

Puff...puff...

Good riddance.



-->

Comments