A Rusty Brain

When I’m at the gym and on the treadmill, I usually have the treadmill’s TV on watching repeats of sitcoms I wasn’t too fond of when they first aired or watching morning talk show hosts rattling on about everything and nothing.  It’s no wonder I sometimes get dizzy. All the drivel drains the oxygen from my head.

Recently I started feeling like I have a rusty brain; one that hasn’t been used is a while. I started hearing it creak every time I heard someone speak words with more than three syllables.  Did the person speaking hear it? Do they think I'm a lamebrain? Will I ever get my brain to work full speed again?

I cursed the damn treadmill, but I knew it wasn’t the treadmill’s fault. It was me. I allowed the mundane to hamper my yearning, to soften my edge. I desperately needed a change, an influx of brain stimulation.

To rejuvenate, I began listening to podcasts while treadmilling which has spilled over to listening to podcasts while driving in my car. And you know what? I’m feeling smarter, more informed, and hipper than ever before.

Why not learn something new while I jiggle the fat loose on the treadmill or while I sit idly in Los Angeles traffic?

Here are three podcasts I highly recommend:


Ear Hustle is a terrific podcast about prison life at San Quentin State Prison.

At first, I was reticent about tuning in, not knowing what to expect and not thinking it would resonate with me. I was wrong. It's fascinating and you need to check it out. 


Clear + Vivid is a podcast about connecting with people and listening to each other, hosted by the legendary Alan Alda.

Alda’s interviewees include Julie Andrews, Paul McCartney, Betty White, The Science Guy, Melinda Gates, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Madeline Albright, and many others. The conversations are deep and meaningful and always thought-provoking.


And finally, I love the f**cking wonderful WTF podcast with comedian Marc Maron. He has revealing conversations with some of our favorite people: Don Cheadle, Nathan Lane, Lily Tomlin, Kathy Valentine, and Ronan Farrow to name a few.

So if you too are feeling the onset of brain rust, then turn off the TV and turn on the podcast.

And the next time you meet a friend, stranger, or zombie, be sure to open up the conversation with, “What podcasts have you listened to lately?" You’ll be surprised where the conversation goes.

Comments