Quarantine Gems

Enduring months of quarantining has left me in a daily fog of sameness.

I no longer have interest in watching television, though I’ve tried, but after Tiger King, I haven’t found anything that generates the roaring excitement of those trashy batshit crazy tiger folk.  

My hair has declared itself its own boss and flows however and wherever it wants, rejecting any direction from comb or brush or gel.

Exercising without a gym takes a lot of effort, and most days I surrender to putting on a bigger shirt.

To pass the hours, I’ve been reading and writing and eating and snacking and drinking and dancing in my underwear to silly pop songs. By the end of the day, I plop into bed exhausted, only to wake up in seven hours to do it all over again.

However... I’ve recently found two “gems” to look forward to, to take me away from the monotony of my quarantine routine, to lift the fog of dullness: Song of the Day with Debbie Wileman, and Uncle Paul’s Storytime.

For the past 50+ days, Debbie Wileman (who resides somewhere in England) performs a song of the day from the comfort of her laundry room, living room, garden, or even her car. She has a voice that fits like a velvet glove, and a range that can tear the roof off the house (and the car).

She has a varied repertoire but has earned her (cult) following with her performances as Judy Garland. On Mother’s Day, she sang an exquisite version of Over the Rainbow, one of the greatest songs, in my opinion, ever written.

If you haven’t heard her, here’s your chance:



A few times a week, at precisely 8:30 PM, I tune into Facebook Live to hear my friend Paul Jacek read a chapter from a children’s book.  It all started with his desire to bring people together during these rather difficult times, to forget their worries, and immerse themselves in the magic of imagination. Since Storytime began, he has read the children’s book Baby Island and currently Black and Blue Magic.  

         

I don’t know the other people tuning in for Storytime, but I feel a kindred connection to them. Storytime is our safe place where we come together for the warmth and comfort of a childhood memory... having stories read to us before bedtime.

At the close of each Storytime session, Paul ends with, “It’s time to brush your teeth, lay out your clothes for tomorrow, count your blessings, and if no one has told you ‘I love you’ today, then I will.”

It’s the perfect way to end the day.

Comments