Morning Masked Strangers


While quarantining, I only leave my apartment for a daily early morning walk and a weekly jaunt (or two) to the neighborhood grocery store. I always don a mask and refrain from touching anything or anyone, practicing safe distancing. Like a good boy scout, I go prepared with a bottle of hand sanitizer bulging in my pocket.

I’m usually out the door by 6:40 AM for a 2 ½-mile walk. It helps me get revved up for the day ahead... for what exactly?... quarantine sanity.  

My walking route is the same every day. It’s comfortable. It’s what I know. It feels covid-safe because I encounter few people, and those I see are the same people daily, with an occasional newbie or two.  

The first person I always meet is a masked runner. He sees me on the sidewalk and jogs into the street to pass me. He waves and yells, “Good morning.” I do the same.

Further down the street, I meet two masked women.  We wave and say, “Good morning” with the shorter of the two adding, “Have a great day!” I yelled back, “You too!” Though I cannot see their faces, I can tell they are smiling.

And then around the corner I see the older woman who always wears black clothes and a white face mask. We wave to each other with no words spoken. Does she speak English? Does she think the same of me? I feel a silent connection between us.

Next, I see an old man who walks rather briskly with his cane. He has an oversized black face mask that seems to cover his whole face. He grunts and nods when we pass. I do the same. Sometimes I add a giggle to my grunt.

When this quarantine is over, will I still get up early to take a walk? Will the others I see each day do the same? Or will we all slip into our pre-covid lives and routines and not be taking early morning walks?

Who are these morning encounters?  Would I recognize them if I saw them mask-less, and would they recognize me? I don’t think so.

I look forward to seeing these morning masked strangers who really aren’t strangers anymore. We’ve seen each other daily for weeks. We share a moment of good wishes. We share a covid-connection, a masked friendship in a time when human contact is needed most.

Maybe that’s what it’s all about... sharing a little friendliness, exchanging a little human kindness, a message that says, “I know what you’re going through,” to help each other get passed these difficult times.

Comments