Stop Signs


Have you noticed that drivers are no longer stopping at Stop signs? They roll through them without looking to see if anyone is walking. And if they do stop, it's not at the Stop sign line but many dangerous feet beyond it.


There have been times when I would have been hit if I hadn’t acted quickly and leaped out of the way with near-ballet perfection. Of course, I didn’t leap quietly. I cursed as my life flashed before me. The driver would speed away while flashing their middle finger, which apparently represents the number of brain cells their hollow head holds. 


Where are the traffic cops when you need them? 


Occasionally, after a near-hit, the driver would mouth “sorry” which came off more like an “oops!” rather than an apology. But what does “sorry” mean? It’s a quick phrase that makes people think it exonerates them from bad behavior. It doesn’t if it’s not heartfelt, and I don’t hear their “sorry” having any heartfeltness. 


Stop means stop. 


The bright red octagonal sign, one of the most international signs there is, even has the word stop on it. 


How hard is that to understand? 

Recently, a car rolled through the stop sign and nearly hit me. The driver was too busy on her phone to pay attention. I yelled at her to get off the phone. She was holding her cell phone in the palm of her hand showing it to me while screaming she was driving hands-free. What does that mean? All I could do was laugh at her ridiculousness which pissed her off. She called me a dirty word and sped away. 


I don’t want to die while crossing the street at a Stop sign. I want to die of old age. 


So, the next time you’re driving down the street and approach a Stop sign, all you have to do is: 


Stop

Look in all directions

Proceed with caution


Okay? 


Thank you. 


Comments